Wednesday 14 November 2012

Starless (King Crimson, 1974)

This long and cosmic ballad is one of my favs in King Crimson's production. Dark and moving, featuring a Robert Fripp's heartbreaking solo guitar, this track is the living proof that sobriety and romance can get along very well. I admit this is not a song for downhearted people, but the lyrics are fascinating, sung by John Wetton's wonderful and imperturbable voice.

King Crimson in concert during the '70s


When I need a pint of sweet melancholy, I turn off the lights and put on "Starless". And I see planets rolling in a doom universe... and I like it.

2 comments:

  1. hi. just came across your blog and as a long time prog and music fan am really enjoying it.You should investigate a really wonderful cover of this really wonderful song by UK folk group The Unthanks. A different twist but absolutely amazing. regards and please keep up the great blog. Simon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Simon, you're right: The Unthanks' cover is great. Following your advice, I listened to it and I copletely agree with you. Please feel free to contribute: my blog belongs to every prog fan. If you had a prog song to present here, I'd be very happy to publish your review. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete